My 164

This is my first posting on the digest, so I have a couple of questions
regarding my 1991 164L.
Firstly I am not sure if I should be concerned about my automatic
gearbox. It seems to slip a little in first and when changing in to
second, but only when cold. The change into second is accompanied by a
slight groaning noise. Once warmed  up everything is fine except the
change into 4th can be a little bit violent on a trailing throttle.
Where is the button for the motronic self test? I have looked everywhere
on the steering column and can't find it! Is it possible my model doesn't
have one?
Lastly, the car seems to loose power when hot and has been sitting in
traffic for a while. This seems to be accompanied by a slight surging
uphills. The distributor cap is quite worn but I can't see how this could
be the cause and replacement is very expensive. CO has been checked by
the garage and is apparently OK. The heads have just been reconditioned
and has had no effect and everything else seems in good order. Any ideas?

Thanks
Anthony Toy
Sydney, Australia