Milano PS and Emmissions ??'s

I am considering the purchase of a Milano donor car and have a few
questions:

1) Would an emissions test be a good indicator of a motor's health?  I
know that Alfa's usually burn very clean to start with, but I'm
wondering if the tests would pick up on a little oil burning (rings and
valve seals)

2) Would Power steering sealant have a negative effects on a power
steering rack?  The owner used some sealant to plug up some leaks in the
Power steering pump.  (Leaks that caused the fluid to run low for a
bit)   The owner indicated that he has but 5,000 miles or so on it since
using the sealant with no ill effects.

Any advice concerning these matters would be greatly appreciated!

Jason Ball
madmac@domain.elided
87 Milano Silver (smokes and leaks)
85 Subaru 4WD Wagon (A SUV that dosen't SUK)
91 Novara Arriba (21 speeds and zero emissions)