Re: Milano ignition Lock

Tony wrote

>My Milano threw a new one at me today!  The ignition interlock seems to be
>jammed.  I can put the key in the ignition.  I can turn it just a little,
>enough to make me believe the problem is not the lock cylinder, but then
>stops.  The steering wheel is locked and won't release.
>Any ideas?  How does one get into it?

I had a problem with my ignition switch a few months ago. The key couldn't
be removed. It would operate everything fine.

I pulled the steering wheel and column off to get in to it. In fact this
was totally unnecessary as I'd failed to notice a little button on the
column housing that released the whole lock. Just remove the cowling around
the steering column - you may have to drill out the tamper proof screws and
replace them with long M5 screws.

I couldn't get the lock apart to see the problem so I tried to get a used
part. $150 (phew). Also the one they had out of a car was not the same as
mine (both 75s).

So I took the whole lock to a locksmith. He pulled it apart but the best he
could do was remove the broken part, $35. It all works fine now but the key
doesn't turn that extra notch to remove the key. This is absolutely no
problem at all.

So my advice is get the lock out and look for the problem yourself. I seem
to remember that the central locking mechanism was external to the lock,
but attached. If you can't fix it try a locksmith.

Hope this helps.

Leigh