Re: more rear engine seal

*********************
Factory procedure is to install the rear main cap first with the
"cigarette seals", and
then to install the rear main seal, once the rear main cap is torqued
down. There is a
special factory tool designed to drive the seal. In general practice in
the field, the
substitute is a deep socket of the appropriate diameter to drive against
the steel shell
of the seal.

When replacing the clutch on any Alfa (except of course 116-119) I
always replace the
rear main seal. Never had one leak using this procedure.

Joel Hailey
Centerline Products
**********************
Joel, my guess is that you actually have the factory tool (I've seen
pictures of them, but that's it) or you have one hell of a socket laying
around. I just measured the rear seal. It's 105.51mm or 4.153" outside
diameter. I'll stick to my way. I hate the neoprene covered seals. There
appears to be no choice in the rear, but I replace the front with a
metal (on the exterior) one.

Regarding the "cigarette seals". I have tried sliding them in when
installing the rear main + seal, but not too successfully. This has
probably been covered before, but I freeze the seals, after installing
the rear main, take one out at a time, coat it with silicon grease (once
the oil pan is on, it sure isn't going anywhere), then using a sturdy
tube of the correct diameter and a long close fitting bolt, pound that
puppy in. I also taper the end going in first slightly as it gets pretty
hard getting those last few millimeters in.

Biba
Irwindale CA