Ignition switch - '86 Spider

Several months ago, a short in the wiring connector caused me to
contemplate replacing the ignition switch.  Although Fred DiMatteo
offered encouragement and instruction, I opted to just repair the
connectors because I thought swapping the switch was beyond my limited
ability.

Unfortunately, now I don't have a choice.  Last week someone tried to
steal the car by forcing the ignition switch with a large screwdriver.
All they accomplished was to make it unoperable with the key.  AAA
dropped the car in my front yard, and I have $500 insurance deductible.
Time to get my hands dirty.

The workshop manual (and Fred) both said that it's not necessary to pull
the outer metal column support sleeve from the steering column -- that
with "some difficulty" the anti-theft connector can be removed using a
punch to loosen the capscrew (screw with head that has been wrenched off
flush to deter theft).  I had no luck after standing on my head and
tapping away at it for hours.

Next option:  "...pull outer sleeve by removing 3 bolts securing
steering box to body.  Lower steering column support slightly and remove
from steering column.  Easier said than done.  Did all that but support
sleeve refuses to pull more than about 1/2-inch.

I'm wondering if the steering wheel lock that activates when the
ignition key is removed is projecting into the side of the steering
column and not letting the support sleeve slide off.  Since my key won't
turn in the ignition, does anyone have suggestions as to my next move?
Is it time for a locksmith?  Will a locksmith even want to touch an
Alfa?  I  believe I can get this damn screw out if I can the support off
and up on the workbench.

Is the break-away screw mandatory when I install the new switch?  I
didn't order one with the new switch and don't want to wait for one to
be shipped.

While I've got all this wiring hanging down in my face:

Need some help with driver's side power window.  For some time, it only
operated with the door held part-way open.  Would not work if the door
was closed (lot's of fun in pouring rain at toll booths) or fully open.
Now not working at all.  The only wiring diagrams I have are from the
CarDisc, and tracing this circuit is almost impossible on my small
computer display.  Help!

Ric Kasper
Jacksonville, FL