Re: Wheels

> Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 13:42:16 EST
> From: BEast750F@domain.elided
> Subject: Wheels
>
> I am looking for an old Campy wheel or two: 5 1/2 K 15.  They were an option
> but usually came on TZs.  I last saw examples on a Super from BC (that has
> since gone to CA).

FYI:  Campagnolo also made these wheels in 6x15.  The 5 1/2x15 may have been
made of aluminum.  The 6x15 were made of magnesium and were quite expensive.
When I bought my '59 Giulietta Veloce F production car from John Shankle, it
had the 6x15s on it.  One of them cracked and had to be replaced.

> Another option are the replicas by Technomagnesio.  Is there a consensus as to
> quality and availability?  Is there a wheel expert out there?
>
> This folly began as an attempt to fit 185/65-15 tires to a G'etta Spider.
> Advice and derision appreciated.

I think that is over doing it quite a bit.  You might want to recollect Jim
Hayes' wild ride about 6 years ago when the chassis bracket for the right
trailing arm in the rear suspension popped of the chassis in the middle of a
turn.  Modern tires generate a LOT more grip than the Giulietta chassis was
designed to handle.

Before you fit wide, modern, high-performance tires to a Giulietta, you must
do the appropriate re-engineering!  Talk with Jim about how to do it.

> Bill

chrisp