Spider rear end vibration

Alan White wrote:

I have a 1982 Spider, and I have been having trouble with the rear end.
When accelerating over bumps, I get a vibration - like metal on metal. The
vibration is not constant, and it comes and goes with the bumps in the
road. If I accelerate on a smooth road, I dont

Check the end of the drive shaft. There is a shield that is just in front
of the pinion seal. This is a curved metal plate on the end of the pinion
shaft. This part is crimped on and often loosens. When you go over a bump
it will rattle and grind against the rear end case. Whenever I rebuild a
rear axle I weld this part to the pinion shaft so that it can not come loose.

TOM SAHINES ARA TECH HOT LINE SAN JOSE CA