Re: 17" GTV6 Wheels

  From: "Todd A. Hoppens" <khoppens@domain.elided>
 Subject: 17" wheels on a GTV6??

 Hi,
       I was wondering if a set of 17" wheels would fit on a GTV6?

REPLY:

Todd,

I put CEC 129 17" wheels on my 1984 GTV6  Maratona, as I wanted the
biggest wheels possible to fill in the wheel wells. They look great. The
original
Maratona wheels hardly do justice to the car, with way too much "air" around
the tires. Besides I do not like the original  Michelin TRX's. I've still got
them
in case the next owner wants them - if I ever decide to sell !

However there were several drawbacks and learning curves. I ordered the wheels
from a dealer who advertises in the Alfa Owner, figuring he would know Alfa's.
He had the lug holes drilled (correctly), but when we fitted the wheels,
discovered that the inside hit the front brake calipers !  and the wheel would
not turn.   The tire dealer spent several hours  "hand grinding" off material
from the
inside of the front wheels, until there was a suitable gap between the wheels
and calipers.  I still have to have all 4 wheels professionally "turned" .
This will
allow me to rotate tires and have the "hand ground" edges smoothened on
the front wheels. CEC later offered to do this, but it is not worth the
expense
and hassle of shipping them.

The next problems were tires. I put on BF Goodrich R1 track/road tires as I
was
going to Mid Ohio for AROC Nationals (1997)    205 x 50 ZR17  front and
235 x 45 ZR17 rear.  ( I really wanted to fill in the wheel wells, especially
the rears). MISTAKE !  Although all appeared OK, while driving, the tires hit
the fiberglass and metal around the wheel wells.  That ruined Mid Ohio !

I then decided on Pirelli  P Zero Asimmetrico's  205 x 45 ZR17.  The first
time ever using Pirelli's .  They fill the wheel wells and look and handle
exceptionally well.  Those of you at the  1997 AROC National in
Columbus OH might have seen them on my Silver Maratona ( 11,000 miles)
where I received numerous compliments on the wheels.

The circumference  of the Pirelli's are different  from the standard tires, so
I have
no idea what speed I'm doing ?  However with the limited mileage I do, its not
important, or worth having  the speedo recalibrated.  Just lookin good and
exceptional  handling makes me realize why I've been driving Alfa's for over
26 years.

You mentioned yor GTV6 is lowered, but, depending on how much, you prabably
still have the clearance of the Maratona with it's Fiberglass "ground effects"
surrounding the lower edges.

Good luck. If you have any further questions, feel free to e-mail me directly.

By the way, if any "Digester's" have any suggestions about turning or
machining the wheels to get clearance from the from calipers,  safety
aspects, etc. I would appreciate any advice ?

Howard Jacobs