RE: 164 with condensation, sticky sunroof, noisy power steering. Oh, and car performance simulations!

Hi all,

The cause of my whining/graunching power steering problem was pretty
easy to track down.  The power steering fluid reservoir was almost
empty!  The graunching nose happened again the first couple of times I
turned the wheel after the car had sat.  Presumably the pump was dry and
made the noise until what fluid remained had lubricated it.  The
steering might be slightly heavier at parking speeds, but not enough
that I had noticed it.  I haven't tracked down the leak yet, but I
topped it up and turned the wheel lock to lock several times to try to
bleed the system.  I will try the correct procedure of loosening the
union on the pump this weekend.  Am I likely to have damaged the pump or
rack by letting them run dry?  I think the steering might be slightly
noisier than it was, which is ominous.

Thanks to everyone who responded regarding the condensation - apparently
antifreeze causes smearing so it is probably coolant coming from a small
leak in the heater core.  I still intend to do my best to clear out all
the drain tubes, it's probably worth doing every now and again.  I
couldn't find anywhere in the CarDisc that actually shows their
locations - have I missed something.  Could anyone knowledgeable provide
a list of all drain holes/tubes on the 164.  In fact this would seem to
be a useful thing to have available for all cars, to help prevent our
beloved from rusting away.  Why d manufacturers hide them away in places
that gather detritus and not tell us where they are?

- --
Jonathan Wolff <jon@domain.elided>
Programmer
Argonaut Software Ltd.