164 pulling left

Sorry to enter this discussion late, but I ve been away.

In my experience the rear wheel alignment is critical to the correct
handling of the car and that if the rear wheels are "pointing" the car in
one direction, then it will be felt at the steering wheel as the car pulling
to one side. Each rear wheel must have identical toe-in and I don't believe
that many alignment places treat the rear with sufficient accuracy. An easy
rough test is to take a long (six to eight foot) bar and put it accross each
rear wheel so that you can look at the relative distance form the sills of
each side.

Failing this, the most likely culprit is differences in front wheel camber,
which is adjustable on the 164 by adding washers or grinding down the
spacers that attach the lower control arm to the sub frame. This is not too
hard, but requires something more that an average wheel alignment shop.

If the car pulls under brakes or is at all eratic, then the first place to
look is the rear mounting bushes for the lower control arms. If this is an
issue you should check out alfabills superflex site.

Doug Gould
'91 164L