Strange GTV6 Altenator problems

Gang I got a weird problem. When I start up my GTV6 the alt/battery
light comes on and stays on. I checked the output at the alt and sure
enough it is not putting out. Here is weird part. Once the temp gage
runs up to normal operating temps (I think the termostat may open at
this point) the light goes off. I checked  the alt output with a meter
and sure enough it is now putting out. What has changed since last time.
Well I did have the car in the shop to get it repainted and have some
dents in the front taken out. Does the termostat have anything to do
with the alt?

- -Tom
'86 GTV6
SF,CA