Brushable Paint

I provide the following responses to Bret Powelson's astute observations
and excellent questions.

1.  Brushable paint is used widely in England where it was developed, and
has been used widely there for decades.  In fact, many Rolls Royce vehicles
were painted by brush until the 70s.  In the U.K. brushable paint is still
commonly used on aircraft, buses and lorries.

2.  The reasons why brushable auto paint has not spread beyond the U.K. are
unclear to me, although I suspect some of the following factors play a
role:

  a.  Brushable paint takes skill, patience and practice to apply properly
to         an automobile, and definitely takes longer than just "spraying"
a car.

  b.  ICI, knowing the market for brushable paint in the U.S. is probably
       limited, have not introduced it in the U.S. because of the cost of
       obtaining EPA approval for doing so (each paint line/product brought
        into the U.S. must be approved by the EPA in a complicated and
        expensive review process).

 c.  U.S. consumer resistance to such a product and disbelief that it could
      actually work.  I can tell you that it provides almost unbelievable
      results when properly done.

Tom Woods
Minnesota