Re: Stuck Spider Head

First, let's eliminate the obvious. You DID remember to remove the 2 bolts
that go under the edge of the timing case, right? Sorry, I had to ask. ;=)

What the esteemed Fred D. recommends is quite simple. Start the motor. Of
course, this means putting back all the stuff you took off to get the head
ready to remove. If you start the motor with all the head nuts loose, you
WILL blow the gasket. I believe he recommends doing this with the water
drained out. You only need to idle the motor for a few seconds to blow the
gasket enough to get the head off.

Over the years, I have also found it easier to break a head loose from the
rear first. The rear is where the big oil return is, and the gasket tends
to get oiled and therefore looser at the back. Put lots of WD-40 down the
stud holes. Your problem may be more due to corrosion than the gasket
itself. Let the WD-40 work on it overnight.