Re: LSD

From: Jez Arnold <jez@domain.elided>

>Sorry if this has been covered before, but is there an easy way of telling
>if a diff is LS? I have one that came from a c.1970 2000 Berlina, the PO
>reckoned it was an LSD, but have heard since that this is not necessarily
>the case.

It doesn't matter. Even if it was LSD, it isn't anymore. The ZF arrangement
uses friction rings to act as the (partial) torque transfer medium, and
after a while (usually between 50K and 100K miles) these get polished to
the point that they don't "stick" any more, they just slide.

Of course, if you are planning to rebuild the unit, that's a different
story. I belive there is a way of telling the LSD from the straight diff
by the case shape, but unfortunately I don't know what it is. The Cams
published a great overview of the unit in the Jan/Feb '94 issue. It was
an article written for us by Kerry Gascoigne of AROC South Australia. Back
issues are still avaliable (write me if you're interested).

- - Jack

| Jack Hagerty                |                                             |
| Robotic Midwives, Ltd.      |    "What luck for leaders that men          |
| Livermore, CA		      |    do not think.  The winner is never       |
| jack@domain.elided   |    asked if he lied." - Adolph Hitler       |
| (925) 455-1143 (voice/fax)  |                                             |
|        ARA #97, NAR #55105, LUNAR #002 / TRA #3943, Aero-PAC #168         |