RE: alfa-digest V7 #407 (new Alfa owner)

I've just joined the list and a couple of items have peaked my curiosity:

First, I'm a new Alfa Spider owner (just bought an '83 with 106K miles).

Bill Bain wrote:

How to get to around 140-150Hp in the Alfa 2 liter is pretty well understood

Can you tell me more about this?

Also, you mentioned,

The stock exhaust manifold and downpipe/cat converter can be replaced with a
'74 manifold with a custom down pipe built off the '74 down pipe leading
into a separate cat con.

I noticed in the IAP catalogue, a stainless steel header that looks like it
replaces the stock header and cat conv.  What's the legal issues with this
and is this something that would effect the performance on the Spider (good
or bad)?

Jeff wrote:

OK, I'm assuming you've had the front end aligned. When I've gotten
my Spider aligned, the techs are usually too lazy to equalize the caster
left and right. Even if the two sides are within spec, if they aren't equal,
you'll get some pull. The camber isn't adjustable unless you buy the
special upper link, any difference side to side will cause a pull also.

Jeff Bennett

I just had a front-end alignment and new tires ... still has a tendency to
pull left (not as much, but still some).  I also find the front-end a little
"Sloppy" (i.e. floats).  I've read that the Alfa should be tight, I had my
local Alfa dealer check all the front-end components and they say everything
is good.  Any other suggestions?

Walter Colbourne
Seattle
'83 Alfa Spider (on it's way back)