75 bad idling; continued

[David wrote]
Around this land (Australia) WD40 is known for its short term
lubrication.
It attracts dirt which gums the part up.  Whilst there could be a
problem
with the crankcase ventilation, try cleaning the air flap with carby
cleaner
or contact cleaner.

[Lars wrote]
Yes, I'm aware that WD-40 (or 5-56 like it's called in Sweden) leaves
some oil remains
in wich dust will get stuck eventually. So last time I cleaned it, I
flushed the ICV inside with rubbing alcohol afterwards.
I get slightly rust-coloured solvent when I pour it out, I guess the
sealing inside the ICV has gone bad, letting moist
inside the solenoid. There's nothing made of steel in the ICV where the
air travels, as  far as I can tell.

[David wrote]
I have to agree, they require frequent cleaning.  However I don't think
that
the buildup I get is a problem, it fills the corrugations in the bottom
of the
ICV!  I wipe it out about once a year.  As long as the flap can move
freely
nothing is effected.

[Lars wrote]
Maybe the problem increases at cold weather. Now it's winter up here,
with temperatures
below zero degree C.
During summer it doesn't reqire that much cleaning.
A friend of mine got severe brake problems since the vacuum servo system
on his 75 TS
was full of goo from the crankcase vent. My 75 has ABS.

[David wrote]
Other Twin Spark owners may also be interested in my experience with a
failed rotor in the camshaft distributor.  It was the obvious problem
when I
was trying to work out why the car was surging under power.  The timing
light
soon showed no spark to all 4 spark plug wires.  The ALFA dealer would
only
sell a whole Bosch distributor, but the after-market guys have a rotor
and
shaft that was easy to fit. ( Facit brand (like the printers?!)

[Lars wrote]
>From what I've heard, just the rotor is avaliable nowdays. The old one
is glued to the shaft,
and it will breake when removed.  Thanks for the tip, I've planned to
replace rotors and rotor covers soon.
btw... Facit were Swedish printers...Facit made mechanical calculators
in the 60's, tried to make computer equipment in the late 70's
but killed itself by the costs. But the printers were almost
ever-lasting...

happy driving

Lars in Sweden   1990 75 TS  16900 km