the last convulsions of the "choices in transport" thread?

joe simpson writes in response to my post below:

>Maybe when they are paying through the nose for gas
>and insurance (aleady are for the latter) for vehicles
>they really do not need (there are exceptions), people
>will start thinking about how their selfish and
>self-indulgent choices affect others on the road,
>be it safety, pollution, or just exposing the populace
>to plain bad taste.

So, you're going to be selling your Alfa and buying a bicycle?
Great!

 -joe

- --wrong forum, Joe. I will not be selling my Alfa for the reasons I cited.
Particualrly the last one. Alfas are considered in good taste here. But more
to your point...If they impose a tax, where you have to pay extra to have a
high performance car, or several of them (my sin, I suppose, although i can
only drive one at a time), then I will gladly pay it because I choose to
have something special. SUV owners do not even want to pay the piper like
the passenger car owners do, never mind extra. And the tax can be on gas, or
wahtever, but yes, as Simon says, incremental.
People who think that they are ENTITLED to bigger and better without
"putting up" , and ironically qualify for exemptrions, are not going to see
the free ride last very long.

thx
luke, San Mateo, CA (work in Palo Alto, but would not live there, too
pretensious and overpriced)

PS. I do already own a Cannondale, and even with three Alfas, used to
commute on it in the past.  Now, I sometimes take the train to work, too. It
is all in the "balance".

74 Spider, 82 GTV6 3.0S, 95 164LS, 98 A6 Q