Re: unleaded fuel

In a message dated 1/14/99 5:46:18 PM Central Standard Time, owner-alfa-
digest@domain.elided writes:

> I understood when the unleaded fuel was introduced that you needed a
>  Catalytic Converter on the engine to process the emissions correctly which
>  was why all the new cars then were so equipped with the cat.  Now I hear
>  everybody saying that you can run unleaded in leaded engines without
>  problems.

My recollection is that one requirement for unleaded fuel was driven by the
catalytic converter.  The lead in the fuel would make short work of the
catalyst by it becoming coated with lead from the fuel and destroying its
ability to function.  Another, of course, was to eliminate lead in vapors
emitted into the atmosphere.

Jerry in Houston