Re:Steering wheel removal.

Ed, regarding your trouble removing your spider's steering wheel...

 I too have found that the steering wheel pullers that rely on the
threaded holes in the steering wheel to handle the forces aren't always
up to the job. I've pulled several stubborn wheels with a common 3 armed
gear puller with better success. I just pulled a spider wheel last week
with the gear puller that has 6 inch arms (there are many sizes). It fit
the wheel just fine and didn't damage it at all. The are quite cheap
also.
 The thing I've found generally with pulling any type of gears, pulleys
or wheels is that perseverance and patience is the key. You don't want
to damage the parts your removing. When I pull stubborn steering wheels
I apply pressure with the puller and then tap firmly on the bolt of the
puller with a heavy mallet. It doesn't always work the first time.
Sometimes I just leave it set and go do something else until I feel like
coming back to it again and it will eventually come off. That's where
the perseverance comes in.
 I wouldn't think a small amount of heat on the wheel will do much good.
It would have to get quite hot to expand. I'll bet if you get a stronger
puller to put more pressure on the job it'll come off.

Good Luck

Phil Williams
3 spiders and a platinum