Steering wheel removal.

Help!  My 78 Spider, "Scarlet," has the original wood wheel.  It is in very
bad shape.  My parts car has the same type of wheel in almost mint condition.
My problem is that neither will budge.  I have a good quality wheel puller and
tried that first, but I had to stop when the bolts began to strip out of the
wheel.  I tried pounding on the shaft.  Light heat with WD40 all while keeping
the puller under strong tension.  The darn wheels won't even budge.  My next
attack plan is to heat the steering wheel with an electric heating pad until
it gets toasty and then hold some dry ice to the shaft in the center.  I won't
be able to get to this for a week or two so if its a real bad idea let me
know!  If anyone has a better idea I would love to hear it.
	Ps.  I did try to restore the wood on my steering wheel first while it was in
the car.  It came out marginal.  I really would like to have the nice one
installed.
Thanks,
Ed Gibbs
78 Alfa Spider
76 Alfa Spider (parts car)

Pss.  I caught the comment about not using the hand throttle for a cruise
control.  It makes good sense so I am not going to bother fixing it.