Re: 164 Stumbling

Hi Kevin,

>      Had a recent occurrence with my '91 164B (automatic tranny) that I'm
>      curious about. While driving around and after stopping briefly at a
>      traffic signal, the engine failed to respond when I stepped on the
>      gas. The engine continued to idle fine and did not stop, but stepping
>      on the accelerator only made the car stagger forward a little bit.

You should go and have a look at the 164 home page:
        /alfa/FAQ/164

and in particular, the tech notes section about stumbling:
        /alfa/FAQ/164/notes_01.htm#stumbl

The two items which a lot of people seem to have had problems with,
and which cause the problem you have described, are the "idle control
valve" and the "coolant sensor". Email if you need to know more about
these.

We're working through this very same thing in our '89 164.

Bye,
Jeff Hanbury
Brisbane, Australia