164 Stumbling

     Had a recent occurrence with my '91 164B (automatic tranny) that I'm
     curious about. While driving around and after stopping briefly at a
     traffic signal, the engine failed to respond when I stepped on the
     gas. The engine continued to idle fine and did not stop, but stepping
     on the accelerator only made the car stagger forward a little bit. I
     was able to coast into a parking lot where I opened the hood while
     leaving the engine running and the transmission in "Park". I could see
     no obvious signs of loose connections or other mechanical
     malfunctions, the engine continued to run fine and no warning lights
     appeared on the dash. After closing the hood and putting the car back
     in gear, the car suddenly began to run fine with no problem. I even
     parked, turned off the engine then restarted the car once or twice to
     make sure everything was all right. Again, each time I restarted the
     car it ran and drove fine. I am obviously baffled and a little
     concerned by this incident and am wondering if anyone has experienced
     similar symptoms or might have an idea about the cause of this little
     snafu. This is the first time this has ever happened and the car has
     always run flawlessly for me.

     Kevin Fillip
     Stumped in Dallas, TX

     '91 164