Re: media blasting, etc.

In a message dated 1/12/99 3:06:22 PM Central Standard Time, owner-alfa-
digest@domain.elided writes:

<< In AD7-380 Jerry in Houston, responding to a paint-stripping question,
writes
 "I would recommend getting them bead blasted.  Similar to sand blasting, it
 uses a plastic bead that will take off the paint safely and with no loss or
 damage to the metal wheel.  Used safely on the soft aluminum skin of
aircraft,
 etc.  Check the yellow pages  The company here in Houston is called
 "Softstrip" and they may be a franchise."

 Not quite correct. Bead blasting is with glass beads, not plastic, and the
 plastic process is generally called "plastic media blasting".  >>

OK, I guess I used the wrong term.  I was definately referring to the plastic
media blasting.  I am told that large blocks of a plastic are put into a
"chipper' and the resulting bits used under high pressure to remove paint,
scale, etc. without damaging the softer metal underneath.  It was originally
developed for prepping aircraft aluminum for painting.  I see no reason it
would not work well with metal wheels of any type.  Now the treatment of the
metal afterward is another issue.  I have heard that powder coating does not
do well on wheels (if you really drive with them) because the coating is
somewhat "brittle" and chips easily.  The problems of the black spots is
certainly something to be taken seriously.  I plan on having my Alfetta
Companatura wheels plastic media blasted and will then prob have them painted.

Jerry in Houston