Re: alfa-digest V7 #379

alfa@domain.elided,Internet writes:

>Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 17:37:51 -0600
>From: "David R Johnson" <johnsnd@domain.elided>
>Subject: GTV6 Driveshaft Removal Problem
>
>Alfisti,
>
>time once again to draw on the knowledge of the digest.  I am working on
>pulling the motor and transaxle from my 1982 GTV6 as part of my preparation for
>welding and painting.  Everything has gone smoothly except when I got to the
>point of removing the driveshaft.  I have unbolted both ends and the center
>bearing so it is now attached to nothing.  However, it doesn't want to come
>out.  The transaxle yoke is blocking it, even with the DeDion tube as far up as
>it will go.  Is there a special trick to this?  I can just about bend the shaft
>in the middle enough to clear the transaxle, but then the bearing hangs up on
>the center crossmember.  I could cheat by pulling the transaxle first, or
>splitting the shaft in the middle, but I am curious as to how you are supposed
>to do this.

I just split the shaft in the middle.  You do not have to take out all six
bolts - just three.  Make sure you mark both halves to maintain the balance and
make sure the centering collar goes back into the recess when you join the two
pieces back.  It is easy to join the two halves with the collor not in the
recess.

If the yoke is the only thing blocking it, you can loosen it and remove the
shaft without it on.  I think that it still is tough to get out.  I can't
recall if the rear motor mount can be damaged in the process if you try to pull
it out in one piece, but take a look at it.  It can be pulled in one piece.
After doing it once, I just split the shaft now and no - can't recall how I did
it.

th