Re: synthetic gear oils

On Jan 11,  2:41pm, Samir Shah wrote:

> I did some research on this a couple of years ago, including speaking to
> Mobil. I ended up buying stuff from Redlines web site, since no one
> carried the product for the transaxle. I think it ended in an NS i,e
> 75W90NS or something similar.

The "NS" designation stands for "non-slip" or similar, I believe.  This is
designed for use in limited-slip differentials, where synthetic oil is
generally too slippery for the cones compared to dino oil (although some diffs
require it with any oil type).  This is corrected by the use of a friction
modifier, which is available separately.  Redline makes it available premixed
for convenience, but they also sell straight synthetic gear oil.  I'm not sure
what effect this would have on the gearbox part of the transaxle, since I have
not used it in a gearbox.  I would think that the frictional properties would
be critical for correct synchro operation, but I would recommend checking the
requirements for each application before using it.

BTW, Redline products are available from Summit Racing Equipment with free UPS
ground same-day shipping, see:

http://store.summitracing.com/

Hope this helps.  No affiliations, blah, blah...

Dave J.
1982 GTV6

- --