Re: SUV emissions

"Paul Irvine" <pi@domain.elided> wrote:
> Comparing typical modern SUV emissions to vintage Alfa
> emissions is pointless. Vintage Alfas do not clog our
> highways. If you were to compare say the total daily
> hydrocarbon emissions from all SUV's vs all vintage
> Alfas... Get my point?

I made the comparison in response to a suggestion that
SUV drivers be restricted access to public roads.  That
suggestion was made in the name of safety and clean air.

At issue is the state's right to hold owners of vehicles
that met all safety/smog standards at the time of manu-
facture to a higher standard at a later date.

I believe that it is unfair to require that owners
modify their cars continually -- under penalty of prohib-
ition from public highways -- to comply with the latest
government regulation.  It would be even worse to single
out SUV owners for such treatment, merely because many of
us harbor a hatred of SUVs.

The fact that there are more Explorers than Giuliettas
makes little difference to the individual Explorer owners
who would be affected.

> The SUV pollution issue actually concerns the difference
> between their emissions and that of modern passenger cars.
> A loophole in the pollution laws has allowed them to have
> a free ride for quite some time now.

Pickup trucks, which outsell SUVs by a huge margin, have
been immensely popular in America for many years.  They are
also held to a lesser standard.  Where was the hew and cry
against pickups?  This debate, it seems to me, has less to
do with frustration over air quality and more to do with a
general disapproval of SUVs.

Passenger cars, light trucks, diesels, police cars, motor-
cycles, etc. have been held to different standards for
decades.  I agree that all new vehicles should be subject
to a single standard.  I imagine we ALL agree on this point.

- - Tom
thomasw@domain.elided