Ignition

Hi Folks,
A warm Happy New Year to everyone!

I am in a bind at present... I have just rebuilt my Dell'Orto
40 DHLA G carbs and installed them. I took a while to
do this - a few weeks! (I had to wait for new venturis and
I am on leave after all!).

I started the car yesterday after installing the carbs and
it ran, however it was a bit rough as I had not synched the
carbs perfectly and the idle mix screws were per the Haynes
guideline - out 4 turns from seated.

Today, I rolled the car out into daylight and connected
the air filter box and tried to start it... not enough spark.
Pulled a plug and it is a very weak spark. It appears the
Bosch electronic ignition module is not working correctly.
I called the NRMA (equivalent to AAA) and the "mechanic"(?)
confirmed my diagnosis. He also arranged it so I can get
towed to a repair shop, if I need it.

The question now is - do I spend $220 on a new module
(part # 0 227 100 111) which has to be sent from Melbourne
(taking 2 days to arrive), or a little more and replace it with
a MSD 6A? Is this possible?

I checked the distributor and it has 2 (trigger?) wires (yellow
and black) going through a shielded cable to the ignition
module. There is also another earth connection to the module,
and two outputs - one to the +ve terminal of the coil and
one to the -ve sides of the coil. I hope someone with
experience with MSD ignitions can tell me if they can be
triggered from the outputs from my distributor.

Yes, I have cleaned all the connections. Yes, I tried Alfa
Romeo parts and they wanted $540 for a combined coil
and ignition module... ouch!

TIA
(Thanks In Advance)

Regards,
Robert Jones,
Sydney, Australia
1979 Alfetta GTV 2000 with diseased 1983 electronic ignition