SUV Emissions...

This is getting a little off the Alfa subject, but I need to correct Dana on
the assumption that emissions are directly related to engine size.

Whereas this generalization is sort of true for non treated exhaust, for
what comes out of the tailpipe, it most certainly is not.  The most common
current standard for light duty trucks (pick ups, SUV's, all vans) is
a mere .32 g/mile of hydrocarbons.  Note that there is no realation to
engine displacement, but for milage, and since this applies from 2.5l 4cyl
Rangers all the way to 8.0l 10cyl Rams, and they all drive the same distace
for the test- the larger engine is MUCH cleaner than the smaller one (relative
to the size).

Typically, before the cat's, engines put out from 2 to 5 g/mile HC's.  This
with well controlled a/f control, spark etc.  If I could take a guess, most
80's spiders would be in this range for tailpipe, 70's cars would be on
the order of 5-7 g/mile, and anything with a carb would be somewhere around
10-20 g/mile at best.

Not to beat a topic to death, but, indeed, older 1.3l Alfas are much dirtier
than ANY modern SUV, as long as it is sold in the US.  Its the law.

Eric Storhok
Ann Arbor, MI