re: SUV hazards

Tom Washburn wrote:
>I think it's far from obvious or appropriate
>that the state should force citizens off of
>public roads for driving SUVs.

It's also far from obvious why SUVs should be held to different standards
than "normal" cars for safety, emissions, and fuel consumption.  SUVs are
basically being subsidized by owners of normal cars, while subjecting
everyone to more air pollution and driving hazards.

Tom further argued:
>From a safety and pollution perspective, most
>modern SUVs are far superior to older Alfas.

With respect to emissions, this is certainly incorrect.  Emissions are
directly related to engine size.