Racing news

>From Autosport:

Top Swedes switch to 156

Alfa Romeo have made the bizarre decision to contest the Swedish Touring Car
Championship.

The Italian Championship winning 156 will appear in Sweden with a two car
team run by Picko Troberg. Troberg won the title last season with BMWs, but
in addition the cars will have official factory support.

The deal keeps Troberg racing, as after BMW's withdrawal, he was not
interested in continuing as a privateer. 'We went down to Italy and met all
the Alfa people,' he said. 'If they come out with new developments, we'll
get them. It's very good for the STCC that Alfa is coming in.'

It is as yet unsure who may drive the 156s, but Tommy Rustad, winner of the
BTCC Independent's division and Fredrik Ekblom who won last year's Swedish
series may return, despite being ostensibly signed by Audi for 1999.

Meantime, Race Team, Alfa Romeo's squad in the South American Super Touring
Championship, is also awaiting delivery of two 156s. Osvaldo Lopez, fourth
last season in a 155, will stay on board at the Argentinean team. He will
once again be joined by ex-Formula 3000 racer Emiliano Spataro.

06/01/99