Re: 1982 GTV-6 color combos

Many thanks to John Hertzman for his informative replies regarding paint and
trim colors (AD-356 & 357).  As I posted in AD-356, a closer inspection (which
I should have made in the first place) showed that some parts of the seats are
indeed leather.  It appears that the seating surfaces are leather, but at least
some of the sides and top of the front and rear seat backs are vinyl.  This I
can tell because of the damage due (I assume) to exposure to the sun.  The
damaged areas are blackened and brittle, and when poked tend to crack and
expose the woven backing I understand to be indicative of vinyl.  So it would
appear that my seats are in fact original and part leather.

Regarding paint color, I am pleased to note that John's car has the same
charcoal with blue interior combination mine does, so mine is very probably
original.  I am curious about the comment about black paint fading to dark
brown however, since even parts of the car which have probably never been
exposed to light since it was manufactured (for example, behind where the gas
tank was mounted) have the same brown tint, even though the paint finish is in
perfect condition.  Is it possible for paint to change color this much when not
exposed to light?  I understood that fading was a sunlight-induced effect.

I am curious as to where a paint chip for this color could be obtained.  I have
pretty much decided to stick with the original color, summer heat not
withstanding, and so I would like the body shop to know what the authentic
color was like.  (I also plan on keeping the IMO ugly blue interior, since the
carpet and most of the trim other than the seats is in good shape and like most
people I have a finite budget).  I like the idea of keeping this car original
where possible, especially since it seems to have a relatively rare color for
the US at least.  If I can't own a unique Alfa, I can at least own an unusual
color!

As far as documentation of colors offered goes, I am beginning to understand
that you can be sure of nothing when it comes to Italian cars, especially those
sold many years ago in a country which no longer imports them.  This emphasizes
the value of this list and the many knowledgable people on it, for which I
would be very happy to contribute the paltry sum of $10 to Bill's fund for
Richard.

Dave J.
1982 GTV6 (in an increasing number of pieces in my garage)

- --