Re: Spica vs Webers vs EFI

Sorry to belabor this topic, but I'll add my $.02--

I'd go with whatever you're most comfortable working on yourself. I
recently debated the same question for my newly rebuilt '74 GTV with 10.4:1
pistons, Sperry Stage II head, and Sperry HP3 cams intended to be a fairly
hot, yet streetable ride. Because I just missed the smog exemption in CA, I
ended up putting in an Ingram performance pump to match and I must say that
when it comes back from Wes, the thing looks like a work of art! However,
I've had troubles getting it to perform as well as I hoped. When you stray
from stock, mechanics who are of the keep-it-stock mentality are of no
help, and the rest really can't help you either, since it's largely an
experimental process. I think it's the CRH that says to really get the
motor to perform at its peak, you must spend time on a dyno. This means
$$$, especially if you (like me) aren't an expert in the chosen fuel
delivery system. I'm still battling poor gas mileage (oxygenated gasoline
is not helping matters), popping on decel, less than ideal starting
behavior, and just barely passed the smog test and will probably fail the
to brag about!

So be prepared to spend a lot of time tweeking it yourself and/or spending
a lot of money to get it right. You'd better love this kind of endeavor, or
you should probably just stick to stock. BTW, I met a guy at Concours
Italiano who'd converted his '73 to EFI with turbo, then removed the turbo
(too much power for the car, he claimed) and reprogrammed the EFI. He's
very happy with his setup.

Mike Grace
Santa Barbara