Re: 105 caster rod end conversion

Michal Wawruszak asked about enlarging the 116 castor rod mounting
holes, and what a die grinder is. The only die grinder I've used was
made by Desoutter and looks like a small air powered drill. It spins at
some ridiculously high speed like 60-80,000 rpm. It was very effective,
probably expensive, and if you didn't have the grinding stones properly
seated the thing would spin up and bend the steel shaft through 90
degrees due to the high off balance centripetal loads! I think they're
mainly used for carving tooling and dies out of solid billets of high
carbon steel. I think an average air powered high speed grinder would do
the trick though, they spin at 10-15000 rpm and you can get them at any
place that sells air tools. If you don't have a compressor, a Dremel
Moto-Tool is electric, should work just as well and is a very handy
thing to have around.
        If you can't find one of these, I'd suggest using a plasma
cutter and a circular template. You should be able to either rent one or
find a local body shop that has one. I think they start at about $1000
Aus if you want to buy one. They cut metal very cleanly and quickly, and
I'd really like one myself.... I've tried the grinding stones in
ordinary power drills with little success too, I think the problem is
that they're just not spinning fast enough.

(BTW, anyone know if this Desoutter is the same company started by the
Desoutter brothers that first made aircraft and then artificial limbs?)

Ian Salmon
Sydney

1980 Alfetta GTV - still interested Michal?
1977 Sud Ti - still under restoration
1981 Giulietta - very nice new daily driver