DOT 4

> From: Dan Hagrman <DanH@domain.elided>
> Subject: BTO4 brake fluid again?
>
> If no one has a clue about DOT4 and spiders, can someone email me the deal
> with DOT4 hurting the other Alfas again please?  I'm afraid I can't afford
> to wait and see what happens... anyone else running DOT4 in their spider???
> thanks, dan in KC kansas

Dan,
I started the trouble. It was in reference to 164 masters failing after
about 2 years POSSIBLY, not proven, from DOT4, by  good sources in
various official spots.

It started when  the dealer where I work, had a 164 choke up a master
after 6 months and ARDONA's rep suggested, (didn't declare) a switch to
DOT3 as the DOT4 may be more aggressive against the 164 master seals.

All I can tell you is that I am on my 4 th master in my 164 and it gets
old at $120 or so + labor, changing it. So I will soon drain mine and
install the 5th cyl. which is failing as we speak ( hard pedal in hot
conditions and uneven wear on the RF LR circuit.)

Ask me about being lost in Juarez, Mexico in October with a master near
locking up... :o(

The issue is not proven, and in ARDONA's defense, it's an idea.

There was some other posts about the chemistry of DOT4 being a different
chemistry which can be rough on some rubber. Also, is there a 164 that
still has the damper in place? Not that I know of...they all had
diaphrams disintegrate and most were removed and....recycled (as far as
I could throw it after a trip to Key  West in tourist traffic... :oD Boy
was my left knee sore!).
- --

Bill Harkell--Tampa Florida
"Pity those who don't know the redline cry of an Alfa V-6" -Anon.
"Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom" -AmiSue1
Homepage: http://pw2.netcom.com/~alfabill/welcome.htm