re: BTO4 brake fluid again?

Dan in KC wrote:
>If no one has a clue about DOT4 and spiders, can someone email me the deal
>with DOT4 hurting the other Alfas again please?  I'm afraid I can't afford
>to wait and see what happens... anyone else running DOT4 in their spider???

I think everyone nowadays runs DOT4 in Spiders, GTVs, Alfettas, Milanos,
164s, Toyotas, Fords, Fiats, whatever.  There is no problem using it in any
Alfa I'm familiar with.  I can't vouch for the older ones (Giulietta and
earlier), but I believe that DOT4 is compatible with earlier fluids (DOT3,
DOT2).

Things get tricky with DOT5, which is silicon-, rather than glycol-based
and therefore not compatible with other hydraulic fluids.

Dana Loomis