DOT4 in Spiders and Great Car Enthusiast Site

Happy New Year Everyone,
Two things: First, you MUST take the Enthusiasts' Purity Test at
http://www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk/bmwpurity.html and substitute "Alfa Romeo"
where you see "BMW."  I scored "Your Alfa Romeo IS your Social Life."
(bragging rights?)
Second, I caught the tail end of using DOT4 brake fluid in Alfas breaking
seals(?).  Please tell me this is only 164/Milano related (no offense), and
DOT4 is fine in 80's Spiders???  Please, anyone?  This is gonna hurt, I can
tell.

thanks for your DOT4 help in advance.
dan in KC Kansas