Re: alfa-digest V7 #351

>Date: Tue, 29 Dec 1998 18:30:14 +1100 (EST)
>From: David Rubie <drubie@domain.elided>
>Subject: 5 stud wheel conversion for Alfetta
>
>Assuming my finances recover from Christmas, I'd like to
>start on the next round of upgrades on my '78 Alfetta GTV.
>
>Another poster mentioned in an earlier digest that decent tyres
>for 14 inch wheels are getting pretty hard to find.  I've
>been offered a set of 15x6 factory alloys from an Alfa 90 for
>free, and I'd like to fit them (assuming the offset isn't
>too far out) but my car is a 4 stud.

I don't think the offset is any different on the 15" rims. I may be wrong on
that though. I know that there are wheels made by BWA and wheels made by
Campagnolo, but AFAIK they are the same offset etc etc

>Has anybody else changed their car from 4 to 5 studs?  Do I have
>to replace the entire suspension system or can I just bolt up
>newer hubs?

You can do just the hubs, but its a bit of mucking around, the easier (and
slightly more costly) way is below....

>While I'm at it, a set of vented brakes at the front would be
>nice.  Anybody sourced/fitted a set of 3.0 litre 75 brakes?

See if the guy with the wheels has a set of front
uprights/hubs/discs/calipers from the 90 too! It's far easier to replace the
whole lot than to simply change discs and hubs and calipers. Simply bolt it
all in, get an alignment and away we go. We did it for the racer using the
uprights etc from an Alfa90. Except we drilled the hubs back to a 4 stud
fitment (Yes, it is quite easily done) because all our wheels are 4 stud.
I'm not sure why you're having trouble finding wheels though, it seems quite
a few people have had them for sale recently. I got a set of the GTV 15x6"
alloys (5 rims with 4 tyres) foronly $125. I think the whole upright setup
etc will cost you around $600 for the parts, plus fitting them. It's an
extremely easy conversion and well worth it.
- --
Nathan Wong             http://www.nectar.com.au/~alfacors
                      Super Touring - Club Cars - Alfa Romeo
AlfaCors@domain.elided       V8Supercars - Formula One - CART