RE: alfa-digest V7 #351

> I really should check my facts here, but did Alfa ever use the Spica
> unit on 4-cylinder, gasoline engines in Europe? It's my belief they
> didn't. If that being the case and if they're such wonderful units, why
> didn't they? Cost? Perhaps. My daily driver (actually my only driver at

to the best of my knowledge, other than on very late gta's and gtam's, no,
they did not.  there did seem to be a trend towards fuel injection late in
the gta's, so alfa must have recognized something good about the system ;)

> the moment) is a '75 Alfetta GT. I bought it used in '78 with 13,000
> miles on it. It was my first Alfa and most everyone I talked to
> suggested I go to Dave Vegher's shop. Most of the trouble I experienced
> stemmed from the Spica. Please note, to the best of my knowledge Wes
> Ingram was not rebuilding them at that time and the units were null and
> void if you broke the "safety wire". It took forever to get the car
> started even with fresh plugs, points, etc. Dave checked it out and said
> I pretty much had to live with it. I went through several starters and a
> ring gear. The car backfired badly. After changing the rubber
> seal/gasket several times on the micro switch, he gave up and asked if I
> wanted him to install a rebuilt unit.

with all due respect, you should not experience starting or running problems
on a properly set up spica system.  perhaps you had a faulty pump?

> I opted not to. I was almost relieved when at around 60,000 miles the
> gas leaked past the delivery valves (?) into the oil. The choice at the
> time was a rebuilt unit for $600 or the Shankle Weber conversion for
> $650, including the carbs. It's had Webers ever since and I'm convinced
> I would have given up on Alfas if I had to live with a Spica. I'd like
> to point out oil was changed every 3,000 miles and the pump filter
> changed frequently.
>
> The Alfetta now has the European inlet manifold and air cleaner, Bosch
> distributer, European exhaust, lowered front end, etc. In my opinion, it
> looks the way an engine bay of that vintage should look - visually
> exciting in it's elegant simplicity.

i opted for dellortos when i rebuilt my spider in the early 80's, mostly
because there was nobody building performance spica pumps at the time.  i'm
thinking of switching back.  imho the spica system is superior, and an
ingram performance pump will perform every bit as good as a set of carbs, or
better.

i also happen to think that the spica pump is a work of art - where else can
you see a three dimensional camshaft in action?

to each his own, but with what's available today i'd stick with the spica
system.

bs