Tribute to Lucas

Howard Warren writes - "MGB: proof that old tractor engines can live on."  I
think you have your LBC's mixed up.  Wasn't it the Austin Healey 100-4 that
used tractor engines?  As far as I know, the engine was designed during WWII
for the Austin A-70.  As for the MGB engine - don't know.  Only know mine
have been pretty darn reliable.  I'm now on my 3rd at 99,000 trouble-free
miles.

But, here's some grist...
        "Why do the English drink warm beer & eat cold food?  Lucas
appliances of course!"
        "Lucas - Prince of Darkness."
        Remember Lucas "Flamethrowers?"  They were so named because there
were times you had to throw a flaming torch ahead of your car to see at
night.  (Not the most reliable lights.)

As for MGB's looking like Hamsters - Howard, you stated you were going to
talk about Lucas electrics.  Why stoop to your impressions of another
marque's looks (Hamsters to your eyes.)?  If you're going to pick on MGB's,
perhaps you wouldn't mind if I posted your remark on the MG Digest with your
e-mail address attached.  (Wonder how clogged your mail will become?)  And,
look at some of the Alfa grilles over the years.  Not all of them were as
beautiful as the early Guilietta's.
Looked at your Milano lately, Howard?  (I did have a Verde for a couple of
years.  So, don't think I can't see beyond the pug nose & scrunched tail.)

Okay!  That's enough "flamethrowing" for one night.  Just love cars for what
they are - tons of fun.

Norm Sippel
'61 Sprint Veloce 101 (Not exactly a beautiful nose either.  Unless you like
grated cheese.)