GTV6 Crank grindings

Occasionally, I come across a GTV6 for sale that has a certain
connecting rod knocking sound as part of the package.  I can recall
people saying that the 4 cyl 2000 cranks had a nitrided hardening
process applied to the crank journals, and am wondering what the
situation is for the 6 cyl crank.  If the crank were to be cut, what
procedures should take place next at a reputable machine shop.  If it
is not possible to cut these cranks, does this  mean more Milanos will
have to be chopped as donors? Did Alfa send the Milanos here as parts
support for aging GTV6s?

Ciao,  Jay