Block heaters

Jimbo:

I've never put a block heater on any car, I only describe the way it appears to
me and how it works.  This is what I think you need to do:

Determine the size and thread pitch of your drain plug or petcock on the side of
the block.  Any auto parts store should be able to obtain a drain plug with a
block heater element, with the same diameter and thread pitch, and the required
electrical cord & plug.  Permanently connect the electrical cord to the block
heater plug terminals.  Most people poke the plug through the grill and leave it
there, sticking out about 4 inches or so.  Don't leave too much sticking out,
you don't want it to drag or snag on anything, get caught in snow drifts, etc.

You'll need to replace the coolant lost during installation, also be sure to
bleed the cooling system.  I don't know how to bleed a GTV6, but the inline 4
cylinder needs to be bled while topping up, first at the bleed screw at the top
of the water pump, then at the bleed screw next to the thermostat housing on the
intake manifold.

Use a good quality extension cord and plug into a standard 120 volt outlet
overnight when temperatures will be below 0.  Heated coolant will circulate
throughout the cooling system on its own.  Be sure to unplug before driving
away, it's easy to forget, AMHIK.  :-)

Avoid any system intended to be installed into the radiator hose or radiator.
Also, any dipstick heaters can be considered useless.

Loyd Heimbruch
Barnum, MN
Stella del Nord Chapter (Minnesota), AROC
70 MPH daily over snow covered roads :-)
86 Olds Cutlass Ciera (daily driver)
91 Plymouth Grand Voyager AWD ($4500.00 damage from hitting a deer)
78 Niki Spider (in hibernation, no block heater required)

End of alfa-digest V7 #349