164 Question

My '91 164L has an exhaust problem.  The junction joining the straight
pipe after the converter to the converter is shot (leaking) as well as
numerous holes on back through the system.  What effects would that have
on fuel consumption or other perfromance aspects of my car.

Also,  obviously, I need to replace the exhaust on my 164 (from the
converter on back).  Should I replace the mufflers with stock or use an
aftermarket muffler system?  I was thinking about replacing the stock
mufflrs with Stebro.

Any suggetions.

Chip