V6 oil leak, diff play

Hi all,

Oh horror! I've just discovered some oil pooling below my beloved GTV6.
It's leaking from the engine, dripping down the rear of the oilpan. Does
this mean a rear crankshaft oil seal failure? I've had a quick look around
the top end of the engine, and there is no oil evident around the heads or
in the valley between the cylinder banks. If the crankshaft seal is gone,
does this mean an engine out repair, or can the seal be replaced with the
engine in the car? I'll have to do the clutch pretty soon anyway, so then
might be a good time for the crankshaft seal too.
Also, there is some play in the differential. I've heard that this may be
due to a spacer in the gearbox wearing down. Is this true? Can the spacer
simply be replaced to remove the play from the diff?

Thanks in advance!

Best, Jaap Bouma (Netherlands)
'87 GTV6 2.5 Grand Prix