Lucas

Ed at Caribou Exports is to be thanked for pointing out that it is the
switches, not the lights themselves (as erroneously posted earlier) which are
to be attributed to the unique talents of Lucas. Lamps from any source
function (if that is not too strong a word) exactly the same in a Lucas-
enabled car.

However, he writes "Actually the three Lucas light switch setting are flicker,
dim and short circuit!" This is not quite correct. Britain and the USA are, as
has been observed, two nations united by one ocean and divided by two
linguistic systems. I have been reliably informed that in the land of the
offside undo what we call a "short circuit" is called a "long circuit" (since
if properly designed it can smoke the insulation from one end of the car to
the other and back again); the same source tells me that the offsiders believe
that our term "short circuit" refers to a quarter-mile oval track, which only
goes to show you.

name withheld by request