re: leaky Spider oil filler cap

> I also have a problem with my 85 spider veloce. I keep finding oil in
> the front spark plug well. I checked the oil filler cap and the rubber
> gasket was deteriorated so I bought a new one fro IAP. To my surprise
> the problem persisted so I bought another cap thinking the first was
> defective and am still cleaning oil. It basically fills the well in a
> week or so. Now I have a lifetime supply of oil filler caps and don't
> know what else to do. Any suggestions?

Sixto,

	I had the same problem on my '86.  The filler cap leaked oil and
filled the #1 spark plug well with the stuff.  A hint from this list (I
think it was Fred D.) said to flatten and smooth the filler cap mating
surface on the cam cover.  A close inspection revealed pits and small
fissures on the cam cover.  I used a fine metal file to flatten the surface
and then some of my sharpening stones (wood chisels, knives, etc) to give
it a really smooth surface.  Oil now stays inside the engine...only to be
blown out the leaky valves seals and worn out oil rings....

"Is dis a system???"  Mr. Natural

Bruce Giller
Takoma 'Radiation-Free-Zone and Finally ReUnited' Park, Md
'73 Alfa GTV 2000
'86 Alfa Spider
'72 Moto Guzzi Eldorado