transaxle slop & clutch questions

Trying to track down the perceived slop in my Milano transaxle, I pulled the
clutch. I had heard a noise coming from the clutch area when I moved both
wheels forward and back with the car jacked up. I disassembled the clutch
looking for an explanation and found that the center hub of the driven plate
has about 5 degrees of free movement relative to the spring loaded center
section. Is this normal? What's the purpose? Note, I'm not talking about the
movement provided by the thick springs, but a lightly loaded rotation of only
the splined center hub.

I tried another experiment with the remaining transmission and final drive,
still in the car. I applied the handbrake and tried rotating the input shaft
back and forth. There's about 5 degrees worth of play here too. Is this
normal?
- --
Colin Verrilli           <verrilli@domain.elided>        IBM Raleigh, NC

End of alfa-digest V7 #342