Re: alfa-digest V7 #340 Frank's mess, Motronic spark knock and Bosch hot start...

>>On the 1987 Spider with irregular idle, likely that the intake boot
is cracked and allowing the famed "vacuum leak" to occur. If the intake
air boot is hard or cracked up around the clamp on the intake side,
replace it.

I have two observations on this problem. The bosch intake tubing (that goes
from the afm to the a hard plastic "middle section" should be one of the first
things checked when there are "misterious" problems with irregular idle or
stumbling on acceleration. The rubber gets old and does not seal up that well,
the italian hose clamps are cool looking but you need to be a little careful
to make them work right. This problem can be agravated by bad motor mounts
allowing the engine to move too much and tugging the hose lose. (in my case
I got the clamps on real good and instead of tugging lose it tore off).

I also have a problem with my 85 spider veloce. I keep finding oil in
the front spark plug well. I checked the oil filler cap and the rubber
gasket was deteriorated so I bought a new one fro IAP. To my surprise
the problem persisted so I bought another cap thinking the first was
defective and am still cleaning oil. It basically fills the well in a
week or so. Now I have a lifetime supply of oil filler caps and don't
know what else to do. Any suggestions?

ciao

sixto
Sixto A. Gonzalez
National Astronomy and Ionosphere Center      787-878-2612
Arecibo Observatory                           787-878-1861(fax)
HC3 Box 53995
Arecibo Puerto Rico 00612
sixto@domain.elided