Re: alfa-digest V7 #340 Frank's mess, Motronic spark knock and Bosch hot start...

Frank,
     Go ahead, I'd like to know who it is. Over half of my work is
repairing other people's screw ups and anything to further ensure that
no one else is taken advantage of is a good thing. I would take him to
small claims court, both on the fact that the car doesn't function and
the estimate was half what you paid and it still isn't done yet. If the
judge has had a bad experience recently, he may be in trouble! Not all
shops are like this, honest!
     On the 1992 Spider pinging, this problem has been noted on several
Series Four (1991-1994) Spiders that we work on, no explanation other
than being more a result of lean mixture than anything else. Ensure the
in-tank pump is working and the fuel filter is fresh. Check that the
water temp sensor (for the Motronic) is within specifications.
     On the 1987 Spider with irregular idle, likely that the intake boot
is cracked and allowing the famed "vacuum leak" to occur. If the intake
air boot is hard or cracked up around the clamp on the intake side,
replace it. The observation that starting cold doesn't exhibit the
problem indicates that the richer mixture compensates for the air leak.
- -Peter Krause