Re: GTV6 wiring questions

Terry Akins wrote about the main power wire passing across the firewall on
his GTV6.  Upon inspection, he noticed that insulation was missing from the
wire, and appeared to be burned off.  He asks the musical question:

> Has anyone ever seen this type of problem?

Terry, that very same problem stopped me, my wife, and our Balocco dead in
our collective tracks about a year ago.  Here's what I found:  The same
harness you're talking about had worked itself free from the firewall.
Once free, it floated up and began rubbing on the windshield wiper
mechanism.  With every bump, with every wipe of the wipers, the insulation
was slowly worn away.  Eventually, the wire itself made contact (in every
sense) with the wiper mechanism, leaving some lovely arc spots on the
metal, and overheating the wire.  Note that there is no fuse between this
ersatz connection and the battery, so there isn't much to tip you off to
the event.  Since you're also seeing localized signs of excessive current
flow, you may want to check for this same problem on your machine.

Rich
Manitou Springs, CO
'82 GTV6 Balocco