Block heaters and all that

Here in northern Minnesota, almost all cars have block heaters.  My Father-in
Law thinks they are standard equipment on all cars, he doesn't know there simply
added to the cars marketed in this area.  Most apartment complexes and many work
places have post mounted receptacles in the parking lot for the block heaters to
be plugged into.

I wouldn't consider being without a block heater in our area.  We usually have 2
or 3 cold spells each year when night time lows are -20 to -30 (that's below
zero) and day time highs are below zero; a cold spell usually lasts about one
week.  It's not unusual to reach -40 (that's below zero again) a couple of times
each year.  Two years ago we had a new record low of -60 (that's below zero of
course) and I think it reach a high during the day following that was still -20.

I think you should be able to find a block heater element that would replace the
petcock or plug on the side of the block.  It should have the same threads as
the petcock (or plug) with an electric heating element in it and a cord attached
to plug into a standard 120 volt outlet.  This will heat the coolant, which will
circulate throughout the cooling system on its own.

I'll be plugging in my daily driver (1986 Olds Cutlass Ciera) tonight, it's -4
right now, supposed to be -10 to -20 tonight with a high tomorrow below 0.  It
will not start if not plugged in and temperatures reach -10 or more.  I always
plug it in if over night temperatures will be below zero.  I use 5W-30 oil as
specified for this car (wouldn't use this oil in an Alfa).

Loyd Heimbruch
Barnum, MN
Stella del Nord Chapter (Minnesota), AROC
70 MPH daily over snow covered roads :-)
86 Olds Cutlass Ciera (daily driver)
91 Plymouth Grand Voyager AWD ($4500.00 damage from hitting a deer)
78 Niki Spider (in hibernation, no block heater required)

End of alfa-digest V7 #340